JavaScript Warning

This site relies on JavaScript for critical functionality. Please enable JavaScript and reload the page.

How do I change my address to an overseas address?

To change your address to an overseas address you will need to log in to your online account or go to 'My account'. This will take you to the 'Account Summary' page. From here select 'Profiles' from the top of the page and 'Personal information'.

Alternatively, you can complete the change of address application form, which can be found alongside our other general task forms here.